Meeke conquers 'bogey stage' in Mexico
Kris Meeke stayed on course for a fourth career victory when he conquered his 'bogey stage' on the Rally of Mexico to extend his overnight lead on Saturday.
The Citroen driver was second on both the Lajas de Oro and El Brinco stages to increase his lead to 23.5sec after 75km of racing in the mountains above Leon.
"El Brinco is my bogey stage. I’ve made a few mistakes on these roads in the past and never felt comfortable," said Meeke.
Defending world champion Sebastien Ogier is second overall in his Ford Fiesta as the Frenchman looks to add victory in Mexico to his season-opening triumph in Monte Carlo.
Thierry Neuville in a Hyundai is third ahead of Saturday's remaining stages but a significant 43.6sec adrift of Ogier.
Jari-Matti Latvala, the winner in Sweden last time out, was seventh in his Toyota as he and teammate Hayden Paddon both suffered punctured rear tyres after hitting rocks.
LEG 3 CLASSIFICATION
1. Kris Meeke (Britain) Citroen 2:47:33.300
2. Sebastien Ogier (France) Ford +00:30.900
3. Thierry Neuville (Belgium) Hyundai 01:10.500
4. Ott Taenak (Estonia) Ford 02:12.600
5. Hayden Paddon (New Zealand) Hyundai 03:25.500
6. Jari-Matti Latvala (Finland) Toyota 04:32.600
7. Juho Haenninen (Finland) Toyota 04:32.900
8. Daniel Sordo (Spain) Hyundai 05:16.100
9. Elfyn Evans (Britain) Ford 08:41.900
10. Pontus Tidemand (Sweden) Skoda 09:26.400